I have a few lists, but they are really minimal and I have not worked on them too much. But I am going to start putting more effort into list building.
Reasons Excuses For Not Building My Lists Faster
Reason number one: All the gurus talk about list building and I dislike the behavior of Internet marketing gurus. Yes, it is true. I really find all those ‘buy my product and get rich’ emails to be distasteful to say the least and I bet you do too.
Reason number two: Email headlines are really dumb sometimes!
1. Thanks for Being A Great Subscriber! 2. Make a million dollars with pinterest 3. Coffee Shop Millionaires
I bet you can think of far worse examples!
I have been on lists that promote via the most bizarre headlines and say the dumbest things imaginable. They are only one-half step above the stupidity of email spam sometimes!
On the other hand, perhaps what this means is that even the dumbest, stupidest headlines and emails work to bring money in to their owners?
As you can see I’ve pretty much allowed the poor example that so-called ‘Internet marketing gurus’ have set to ruin my list building efforts and enthusiasm.
And that is a shame. Because, email marketing works. I have watched it work for my business and I have pretty much downplayed my own good results because of the above unpleasant experiences.
Why List Building Is Good
I nearly cringed when I wrote that subheading.
Unfortunately, after extensive efforts in trying to prove that you can grow a business online without resorting to list building, I have been forced to realize that having a list is far better than not having one.
Therefore, I am going to have to pick up my listbuilding efforts and focus more on building lists.
Yes, I said lists. Having more than one is a good idea. In fact, you can have lists in multiple markets. You can also have lists for sub aspects of your information, products or services that people are interested in. By segmenting in this way, you can deliver more targeted content, products and services to the people who want them most.
Segmenting your lists by interest is a powerful way to serve your readers better.
I know list building works from personal experience, but I have been avoiding it to my detriment and the detriment of my business.
But that is coming to an end now.
You can get a free basic list building course below this post. Just sign up for the “Billy Tooth Marketing Course”
The Biggest Danger With Not Having A List Or Multiple Lists
1. I am referring to reliance on Third Party Businesses For Your website Traffic.
For example: A lot of peoples’ businesses have been harmed and perhaps severely damaged when Google makes an algorithm change. And Google really does not care how they effect you or your business. In fact, they are quite unfriendly about that kind of thing.
I rely a lot on twitter for my marketing. But what would I do if Twitter closed my account or was bought by another company, or went out of business for some reason? If all of my efforts went into building my extensive twitter following I would be out in the cold if that were to happen.
2. Many people may visit your website once and leave. They may never come back. This is because everyone is using search engines. They don’t remember your site. They simply type in a new search engine query and that can lead them to someone else’s website.
Marketing people tell us that a person often needs several exposures to your product or offer before they will actually buy. In the above scenario, if they are ready to buy, they may simply find someone else to buy from through the search engines!
If you had been smart enough to get them on your list, you can stay in contact with them. When they are ready to buy your product or service, you are much more memorable to them then you would have been under the above scenario. They may even have a handy and quick link to your checkout in their email!
The Benefits To List Building
The benefits to list building in regards to the extent and health of your business are extensive.
1. You own the list, no one can take it away from you. This is a list of people who are happy to get your information (otherwise they would leave the list). You can provide them with valuable content coupled with offers for products and / or services that would be beneficial to someone with their particular interests.
2. If your website were to shut down or BE shut down, or the flow of traffic were suddenly restricted, you would still have your list in order to reach people.
3. The costs of reaching people on your list are minimal! If you were to use a list building, autoresponder and broadcast message service such as aweber, (the one I use) your costs would be small. I think I currently pay under $20 per month for my list. ( I am on an old plan where I pay once-per-year and it is a good deal).
You can also export your lists and keep a back up of them in case you ever need to switch services or move your list to another service.
The bottom line is that the list is yours.
You can email your customers any time you feel would be beneficial to them. If you are giving them a course on a particular subject with daily lessons, then they know they will be receive that mail from you and may actually be looking forward to your next email!
4. Duplicate content. Good marketing material generally sounds the same once you have refined it. You can’t keep posting the same or similar content over and over again to your website. But with email marketing, you never have to worry about ‘duplicate content’ penalties. This goes back to what was said before. If you have an email list by which you can reach your customers and readers then it no longer matters what Google does or does not do!
That equates to a greater level of freedom.
A Chance Conversation About Email Marketing
When I opened up a new merchant account a few years ago, I had an account manager who told me some stories about Internet marketers who have large email lists and who do ‘product launches’.
When you have a merchant account, you generally have to communicate well with them if you think you will suddenly have a large amount of business that is not characteristic with your ‘normal’ business flow.
They monitor the amount of business that comes through your account. If they see a sudden large spike they will temporarily shut down your merchant account. That means they ‘temporarily’ take away your ability to accept money from your customers. Can you imagine what a disaster that would be to your business?
Therefore, these guys have very large lists and they are promoting a new product. They know they will have a sudden influx of sales.
This account manager told me that these marketers have it down to a ‘science’. They are generally able to tell the merchant account holder approximately how much more business they expect to do and they are usually very accurate. That’s what this account manager told me.
So you see, having a list can lead you to a place where you have a more stable and predictable income. Amazing concept, isn’t it?
Building Your List
As I mentioned, I now have a renewed interest in building my current subscriber base as well as creating new lists for various topics and categories. Perhaps you have an interest as well.
The Billy Tooth Marketing Course that you will find below, teaches about basic list building and selling affiliate products. Of course, you can apply the same information to physical products, digital products, services and pretty much anything else you can think of.
If you are beginner to intermediate with your list building and marketing skills, the Bill Tooth Marketing Course is a good place for you.
However, if you are already at the advanced level. I can recommend this course that I am taking. (Warning, it is expensive) It comes with very solid information from beginner to advanced and there are also a lot of other perks and benefits given as well. I think it is really, really a good course on list building.
If you do build an email list, please, please don’t send out stupid headlines and messages, ok?
Perhaps you have questions. Or, perhaps you have answers or comments? In either case, I encourage you to say something in the comment section below.
Advanced List Building – warning: It is expensive.
Other posts you may enjoy: